Early Morning Fire at the Cargill Meat Solutions in Schuyler
An early morning fire and ammonia leak has temporarily shut down the Cargill Meat Solutions Plant in Schuyler (sky-ler) Nebraska. Mike Martin, Director of Communications with Cargill said the leak was reported at 3:40 this morning and shortly after that smoke was found in a crawl space between the ceiling and the roof above the fabrication floor. Martin said both originated from the air makeup unit on the roof.
The fire is under investigation and Martin said the unit had been serviced in the past 30 days. Damage was isolated to the unity, insulation and ceiling area. The plant will be reopened after being inspected by the USDA. Cargill in Schuyler processes 5,000 cattle on a daily basis.