The scholarship contest is open to children and teens ages 7 to 13 who live on Nebraska farms or whose parents work on Nebraska farms. One winner and one runner up will be chosen in each of the following age categories: ages 7-9, 10-11, and 12-13. Each contestant is asked to submit a typed essay of no more than 750 words, describing how being in a farming family influences his or her higher education goals.
"First National Bank of Omaha has a proud history of working with Nebraskas agricultural communities. We are excited to offer this scholarship opportunity to farming families and help them get a jump start on saving for college," said Deborah Goodkin, Managing Director, First National Bank of Omaha.
"We are proud of our Nebraska farm and ranch families and admire the strong work ethic and good values that these families impart to their children," Treasurer Stenberg said. "We also know that the future success of our family farms and ranches, and our strong Nebraska farm economy, will require well-educated citizens. The enormous financial commitment, along with the increasing complexity of farm management, requires farmers and ranchers of the future to be well educated, well informed, and knowledgeable about a broad range of subjects."
All entries are due by mail or email by August 2, 2013. Three winners and three runners-up will be selected on August 23, 2013.
- Entries, preferably emailed in Microsoft Word format, must include a cover sheet with the following information: the entrants name, address, phone number, age as of August 2, 2013, and parent/guardians name.
- If emailing, send to NEST@fnni.com no later than 11:59 p.m. August 2, 2013. The subject line should read NEST on the Farm Scholarship.
- If mailing, address to First National Bank of Omaha, ATTN: NEST on the Farm Scholarship, 1620 Dodge Street, Stop 1105, Omaha, NE 68197 (postmarked no later than August 2, 2013).
- Each child must have a valid social security number and a Nebraska residential street address.
- The children must fall within their respective age groups on August 2, 2013.
The scholarship will be awarded to the child and deposited into an account owned by the Nebraska Educational Savings Trust, held on behalf of the winner. For scholarship contest rules, visit the NEST Direct College Savings Plan at www.NEST529direct.com or the State Treasurers Office at www.treasurer.org/cs.