Ron Gray, a farmer from Illinois, was recently elected as U.S. Grains Council chairman during the organization’s 54th Annual Board of Delegates meeting in Omaha, Nebraska.
“The Council works around the world to connect U.S. agriculture with valuable markets, ultimately improving our bottom line. We are the catalyst in the global marketplace that makes that happen,” Gray said in his first speech to USGC delegates as chairman.
“Our theme this year is ‘Global Awareness, Global Connections.’ This means working with our delegates, board members, state and agribusiness partners, as well as the customers who rely on our products and those far away from the farm who should be aware of the impact trade has on their lives.”
Gray farms in Claremont, Illinois, having spent almost 35 years in production agriculture. He has also been a crop insurance agent for almost a decade.
A past chairman of the Illinois Corn Marketing Board, Gray has been a delegate from that Board to the Council since 2002.
At the Omaha meeting, the Board of Delegates also elected the Council’s 2014-2015 Board of Directors. That body now includes:
- Ron Gray, Chairman, Illinois Corn Marketing Board
- Alan Tiemann, Vice Chairman, Nebraska Corn Board
- Chip Councell, Secretary/Treasurer, Maryland Grain Producers Utilization Board
- Julius Schaaf, Past Chairman, Iowa Corn Promotion Board
- Thomas Sleight, President and CEO, U.S. Grains Council
- Steve Brody, Agribusiness Sector Director, DuPont Pioneer
- Mark Seastrand, Barley Sector Director, North Dakota Barley Council
- Dick Gallagher, Corn Sector Director, Iowa Corn Promotion Board
- Bill Kubecka, Sorghum Sector Director, United Sorghum Checkoff Program
- Craig Floss, State Checkoff Sector Director, Iowa Corn Promotion Board
- Jim Tobin, At-Large Director, Monsanto
- Jim Stuever, At-Large Director, Missouri Corn Merchandising Council
- Charles Ring, At-Large Director, Texas Corn Producers Board
- Deb Keller, At-Large Director, Iowa Corn Promotion Board