Denver, Colo. -- The American Sheep Industry Association's (ASI) 2014 Photo Contest is underway and is open to all who wish to enter. The only rule is that the photographs entered in the contest must include sheep or lambs raised in the United States.
Photographs entered in the contest will be judged on clarity, content, composition and appeal. More than $1,000 will be awarded, with awards of $125 going to the grand-prize winner in each of the four categories listed below; $75 for the first runner-up in each category; and a $50 prize for the second runner-up in each of the four categories.
The deadline? Entries must be postmarked by Sept. 1, 2014.
The winning photos will be highlighted in the October 2014 issue of Sheep Industry News and will be available on Oct. 1 at www.sheepusa.org. Only the grand-prize winner, first runner-up and second runner-up in each category will be notified of their winnings.
Photographers are advised to submit photographs in large file size. Also, judges and ASI staff encourage entrants to provide both horizontal and vertical photos. This will better assure your talented and creative photos can be shared in future issues of Sheep Industry News.
Below are the four categories in this year's contest:
Action - Photographs of activities such as shearing, wool classing/skirting/baling, moving/trailing sheep, lambing, tagging, feeding, etc.
Scenic (East) - Photographs of sheep outdoors located east of the Mississippi River. (Photos entered in this category cannot include people.)
Scenic (West) - Photographs of sheep outdoors located west of the Mississippi River. (Photos entered in this category cannot include people.)
Open - Photographs with subject matter that does not fall into the three above-listed categories.
Other contest rules:
- ASI can use or reproduce all entries at the discretion of ASI. In addition, entries will not be returned.
- ASI is not required to notify photographers when photos are used in materials.
- Pictures can be submitted via hard copy or electronically.
- All entries must be at least 3"x5" color or black-and-white high-resolution pictures (larger sizes encouraged).
- Entries must be submitted in the name of the person who took the photograph.
- Entries are limited to two per category.
- Only photographs that have been taken in the past six years can be entered.
- Photographs submitted in previous ASI photo contests cannot be re-entered.
- The following information needs to be included with each submission: title of photo; category (from the four listed above) into which it is being entered; photographer's name; mailing address; phone number; email address; and approximate location/date of photo.
Entries should be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line of ASI Photo Contest. Those mailing photos should send them to ASI; Attn: Photo Contest; 9785 Maroon Circle, Suite 360; Englewood, CO 80112.