Nebraska Crop Progress and Condition Report for the week ending August 27

LINCOLN – For the week ending August 27, 2017, temperatures averaged near normal, according to the USDA’s National Agricultural Statistics Service. Significant rainfall of an inch or more was received across most eastern counties, however western counties and the panhandle area remained relatively dry. There were 5.1 days suitable for fieldwork. Topsoil moisture supplies rated 7 percent very short, 23 short, 66 adequate, and 4 surplus. Subsoil moisture supplies rated 10 percent very short, 29 short, 60 adequate, and 1 surplus.

Field Crops Report: 

Corn condition rated 4 percent very poor, 9 poor, 24 fair, 47 good, and 16 excellent. Corn dough was 94 percent, equal to last year, and near 92 for the five-year average. Dented was 51 percent, behind 58 last year and 56 average. Mature was 1 percent, near 4 last year, and behind 7 average.

Soybean condition rated 3 percent very poor, 7 poor, 25 fair, 54 good, and 11 excellent. Soybeans setting pods was 97 percent, near 95 last year and 96 average. Dropping leaves was 3 percent, near 7 last year and 5 average.

Sorghum condition rated 1 percent very poor, 2 poor, 29 fair, 50 good, and 18 excellent. Sorghum headed was 98 percent, equal to last year, and near 94 average. Coloring was 38 percent, well behind 70 last year, but near 39 average.

Alfalfa condition rated 4 percent very poor, 9 poor, 29 fair, 46 good, and 12 excellent. Alfalfa third cutting was 92 percent complete, equal to last year, and near 89 average. Fourth cutting was 30 percent, behind 36 last year, but ahead of 20 average.

Dry edible beans condition rated 2 percent very poor, 8 poor, 18 fair, 51 good, and 21 excellent. Dry edible beans setting pods was 94 percent, ahead of 88 last year. Dropping leaves was 5 percent, behind 17 last year and 15 average.

Pasture and Range Report:

Pasture and range conditions rated 7 percent very poor, 20 poor, 43 fair, 26 good, and 4 excellent.

Stock water supplies rated 2 percent very short, 10 short, 88 adequate, and 0 surplus.

Data for this news release were provided at the county level by USDA Farm Service Agency and UNL Extension Service.

Access the National publication for Crop Progress and Condition tables at: http://usda.mannlib.cornell.edu/usda/nass/CropProg/2010s/2017/CropProg-08-28-2017.pdf

Access the High Plains Region Climate Center for Temperature and Precipitation Maps at:
http://www.hprcc.unl.edu/maps.php?map=ACISClimateMaps

Access the U.S. Drought Monitor at:
http://droughtmonitor.unl.edu/Home/StateDroughtMonitor.aspx?NE